Cup by Cup, Closer to Clouds

An old, abandoned sanatorium in Ķemeri (from 1928 to 1959 a separate town, now part of Jūrmala city in Latvia, 44 km from Riga). Built in Soviet times (1975), the sanatorium was named "Latvia", later renamed to "Līva". Closed since the 1990-ies.

The Sweetness of Freedom

Background: The Freedom Monument is a memorial honouring soldiers killed during the Latvian War of Independence (1918–1920). Unveiled in 1935, this 138 feet high monument often serves as the focal point of public gatherings and official ceremonies.

Foreground: a fragment of "Laima Clock" (erected in 1924; since 1936 decorated with the name and logotype of the country’s largest confectionery manufacturer, "Laima").

From Riga with Love

Cruise ferry traffic between Riga and Stockholm works since 2002. Tallink's ferry ISABELLE runs the route since 2013 (before that it was at the service of Viking Lane). It was built at 1987 and first launched at 13 August, 1988.

Yellow Dragon

A real idea of railway in Latvia started to be active in 1853, but the first working magistral was opened in 1961 (Riga-Dinaburg). In the period up to WWI railway network in Latvia's territory grew to 1941 km.

The bridge on this photo is the Railway Bridge over river Daugava in Riga - historically the first iron bridge in Latvia (over 1 km long, built in 1971-1972). An object partly visible in background is Riga Radio and TV Tower, the tallest structure (368.5 m) in the Baltic countries and the third tallest tower in Europe. It was built between 1979-1986. For more information you can visit its official homepage.

Riga tram

Riga city started using tram traffic in year 1882; then, however, those were horse trams. The first electric tram on its streets appeared in year 1901.